View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande
As a sys admin and manager of an IT department, all of my life is on the computer. There needs to be another way to organize things besides @Computer, @Email.
As I understand the idea of a context in GTD, it is the specific situation within which the task can be completed; and although it may be "organisation" in the strict sense, the function of contexts is to filter-out the noise of those tasks which cannot be addressed in any given situation.

If this reading is correct, it follows that each user will have different requirements for the degree of specificity needed to focus meaningfully on their tasks. For one person @computer may be specific enough but someone else might need to use @photoshop to filter-out all their other computer-based tasks; yet another person may want even finer-grained control and use @retouching to separate this field of their attention from others such as @scanning and @resizing. In OmniFocus these contexts can be nested, grouping them together in the list for clarity (e.g. @computer>photoshop>retouching), but in the line item they show as the single specific context. On the other hand, for someone using a computer all day an @computer context may be meaningless and using @photoshop, @internet might be broad enough.

My understanding is that contexts should not be regarded as "categories" as such, but as a means to help you ignore those tasks on which it would be pointless to waste your attention at that particular moment.

Last edited by coconino; 2007-06-03 at 10:00 AM..