View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
I'm not an expert on syncing, so I don't know if there's a way to remotely delete data. I expect that "Unregistering" a client, or changing a password for the WebDAV server would only mean that the remote copy of OmniFocus would be unable to continue to sync. The local copy of the database and software would still be there. Can you force a sync on your remote computer? (Showing my ignorance.) If you could, then you might backup your database, clear it, sync the remote computer (so the database would be empty), and then Unregister the remote computer. Then restore the database on your own Mac to the backup....
Yes, if you could be sure that OmniFocus was going to run on your former work machine for a few hours, you could zap your database (after backing it up) so that it reverted to the default "welcome to OmniFocus" version and hope it gets synced over. The problem is that I think OmniFocus would detect that the two are no longer related and toss up the "uh oh, what should I do?" dialog instead of overwriting the work copy, so you would want to erase the data by actually deleting the sensitive information from the database instead of deleting the database. Even then, you are gambling that it will get a chance to sync. That's the problem with any sort of remote deletion scheme -- you don't know that it will ever get a chance to do its work. Better to keep the data off the disk entirely, or encrypted.
Quote:

The best thing that I can think of to protect your data is encryption. (I do have experience with this - company policy, in case of theft, snoopy people, etc.) If you do have FileVault enabled at work, then all of the data in your home folder would be encrypted, and therefore inaccessible. If you don't like FileVault (wouldn't blame you!), or aren't allowed to use it on office computers, or are concerned that people may try to exploit FileVault's vulnerabilities to access your OmniFocus database, could you put your database in an encrypted disk image? Just don't put the password in your keychain.

Another possibility - has anyone been running OmniFocus with their data on a flash drive?
OmniFocus doesn't really seem to support keeping your only copy of the data externally. It leaves a cached version of the data on your disk so you'd have to make sure that didn't get written out to the local disk, not to mention any backup files it makes. If you really don't want your employer to have access to that data after you leave (or while you are there!) encrypting your home directory or not using their hardware to run OmniFocus are your best bets (the latter would be my choice). Or run a separate OmniFocus database at work and keep your personal stuff out of it. You could always take a copy of it home and shift any items you want to work from home into it, just don't pollute the work database with your personal stuff.