Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
Sitting at home wondering what I could be doing with some "extra time" ... open OF on iPod, go to Contexts view, select Home context, filter for either Available or Next Action. Decide that changing the air filter would be a worthwhile venture in the next few minutes.

Done.

--
JJW
I'm afraid I must not have been clear in my post, because this is wrong and misses my point. In my example, "change air filter" is given the "low energy" context -- and since mutliple contexts are not allowed, it is NOT given the "home" context. As a result, the very common sense approach that you suggest DOESN'T WORK: If I select the "home" context and review that list, I will NOT see "change air filter." Contrariwise, if multiple contexts were allowed, then I could tag it with both "home" and "low energy" and your process would work just fine. Indeed, it is precisely for this reason that I do not use a "low energy" context.

I may have mislead some folks by choosing a poor example, but the larger point is this: If you can only assign one context, then *by definition* you cannot efficiently set up contexts that run across two or more dimensions. In other words, you can have either "location-based" contexts, or "people-based" contexts, or "energy-based" contexts, or "time-based" contexts, or "equipment-based" contexts -- but you have to choose one, because you cannot have all of them (or, to be more precise, you *can* have them all, but if you do, then you are forced to scan multiple context lists).