View Single Post
Hi hypotyposis,
thank you very much for sharing informations and experience.
I tried to reduce my folders in my project list to the essential, but I think I will never remove all of them.
For a basic example, I think about the separation of work projects from personal ones: during the weekend, I rarely want to see work projects, I want to have at my hand all the projects in my personal world (friends, family, householding and so on) and exclude work projects. Since not all my personal projects has a "Home" context, or something like that, the only way to accomplish it in OF is by creating folders.

Regarding the tag, I'm not using them in the project list: I never had the need to do that, and very, very rarely I felt the need of multiple contexts.
But I'm interested in tagging since I'm going to create my new personal digital filing system. I have to say "New" because the first one was very inefficient and chaotic: I have made some studies about it during last months, and I hope to structure it during my vacation, in august.

I've always used many folders to archive my stuff, but I understand that, while the folders can achieve the "vertical" categorization, tags can give you an horizontal categorization, giving you the ability to cross-reference material in a very powerful way.

As I said in another post, DevonThink gives you all the possibilities: I didn't study it very well, but since it has also a very powerful fulltext search engine, sometime I ask myself: do I really need to tag contents? In 99% of cases, I will use words that are already inside the article I categorize, so is it necessary?

But, well, I think this is going to be a bit off topic from this forum. Or not?

Regards,
Francesco