Thread: Durations
View Single Post
Quote:
Now I think I'm missing something. If the hard workers start Monday morning and finish Friday evening, that's 5 days duration. Why do you want it to be 7?
Bad example, I guess. Maybe I'm just not used to thinking in the terms that a program like this requires, but it seems like there should be a way to do what I want to do.

Forget the previous example. Let's say that the task is something where I have to wait for a period of time for something to get done. Like "Wait for paint to dry," or "Allow chemical reaction to run to completion," and I know how long that will take (say 7 calendar days, starting on Monday, ending the next Monday). These are things that have a DURATION, right? I just want to put somebody's name on these, so that I know that the Painter is checking on the paint drying, or the Chemist is checking to see that the reaction is going. I can't get the program to say that the task WILL TAKE 1 WEEK, regardless of the hours that any person works. I should be able to change the assigned staff resources to people who work 7 days a week, or 4 days a week, or 12 hour days, but the task should still take 7 days, regardless.

I thought that's what "duration" would do in the Task Information box, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Hope that's a little clearer!

--Mike