View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay6821 View Post
Now that Things has a very nice sync solution, for me, the two critical differences between them are Tags and Nested Actions or Folders. Between the two programs I can have one, or the other, not both (without resorting to elaborate duct taped workarounds). Given the choice between those two features, I choose Tags (and therefore Things). I find being limited to a single context useless.

A month from now I may be complaining about the lack of nested folders in Things and find myself back in the OmniFocus camp, bit I'm not so sure. The complexity of OmniFocus is a turn off and I've been using the program for almost 4 years. If I have a complex project, I don't turn to OmniFocus, I turn to OmniOutliner.

I've tried to move to Things but keep coming right back. I also missed parallel and sequential projects, review mode (with the ability to set review intervals), folders, and subtasks have kept me here.

But I do pine for Thing's elegance. OF's power can humble a beginner. Grappling the idea of parallel and sequential projects, or figuring out the concept of project mode vs context mode was a great challenge for me in my earlier years.

I actually started using GTD with Things then ran parallel GTD setups in Things and OmniFocus. For a while I was switching back and forth but now I'm just too fatigued and have opted to stay with Things.

I'll open up Things every now and then to see if there is something there to grab me but I just can't see past its skin-deep beauty.

Crossing my fingers for OmniFocus 2. Hopefully it will break away from the strong OmniOutliner roots and incorporate a decent report generator and forecast view.