View Single Post
I don't know if the Omni Group follows Agile software development, but Agile encourages the "release early, release often" approach. That same approach has been shown to be very successful in many open source projects. And Apple has repeatedly done the same thing with Mac OS X, on the desktop and on iPhone.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a slightly unfinished app right away with regular and frequent updates rather than having to wait months or years for a complete product. Besides, desktop syncing was clearly labelled as still-under-development. So any criticism pointed toward that or the new capabilities of the desktop app are certainly unwarranted.

But popesammyjoe is entitled to his opinion. I certainly don't fault him for being dissatisfied if that's how he feels.

However, I do take issue with popesammyjoe's arrogant presumption that he speaks for the entire user community with comments like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by popesammyjoe View Post
I appreciate your efforts to clean up your mess but you went out way too early with this software. It is below your standards. You all know it, and every developer and user out there who loves all your other stuff and your incredible creativity knows it as well.
Quote:
I urge you to find some way to apologize to your customers to compensate them for believing that you would never take such liberties with their trust
Quote:
I and perhaps hundreds of others of your loyal customers have learned better than to trust anything to Omnifocus for iPhone.
Quote:
you still owe everyone an apology
Quote:
Their excellent past makes other users want to launch into an apologetic of why Omnigroup can't really be held responsible for this.
This is just BS. Popesammyjoe, you don't speak for everyone, and certainly not for me.

I'm not an Omni Group apologist, but software development is hard, and, as others have said, "Sync is hard." On top of that, we have a new platform, a new SDK, a restrictive NDA and distribution model, and a rush to market (not just for the Omni Group, but also for Apple, their manufacturers, their cell network partners, and all iPhone app developers).

Under the circumstances, I'd say OmniFocus for iPhone has performed admirably well and certainly no worse than any other app in the iTunes App Store (especially when we exclude OmniFocus' clearly-advertised-as-pre-release syncing). I can honestly say that my satisfaction with Omni Group's products and service has never been greater. After all, adversity is the true test of one's mettle.

-Dennis