View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengnickle@comcast.net View Post
Hey whpalmer4,

Thanks for responding to my post! The "automatically scheduled backup program" is called "Backup" and comes with my iMac and part of OS X 10.5.5. If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that a built in program that Apple advocates (backing up your computer) is incompatible with OF? I really don't want to have to choose which software program I can use (haven't we all done that enough with only being able to use limited Apple/Mac programs compared to PC's?). This program is now turned off (since I have frequent backups to my Time Capsule) but you are right, I did turn my iDisk back on and if this problem continues (so far, am able to sync without mishap), then I am left to choose which program(s) can run on my system (compatibility wise).
Ah, okay. Backup isn't the only backup program for the Mac, by a long shot, just so you know. There are references on the forum to the sync process between OmniFocus clients as being a backup, so I wanted to make sure we were all talking about the same thing!

The problematic area that I'm talking about is the built-in iDisk sync set up in the MobileMe preferences in the System Preferences. If you have that enabled AND are using OmniFocus to sync via MobileMe to your iPhone or other computers, you may have your data corrupted, for reasons not yet completely understood. Rereading your earlier posts, it sounds like you may have already encountered this, but after fixing it, turned the iDisk sync back on. There's really no reason for you to use that feature (MobileMe's iDisk sync) if you've only got one computer and an iPhone (especially when you aren't going to be using that computer cut off from internet access, like you might with a laptop); you can still use your iDisk without the syncing enabled. Turn it off and keep it off until Omni figures out what the problem is and how to prevent your data from being corrupted, and life will be better for you, I think. By the way, yes, I am saying that Apple software and Omni software are incompatible in some cases. For that matter, Apple software doesn't even always get along all that well with other Apple software! The Time Machine/Time Capsule backups interact poorly with Apple's Aperture image library, for example.

As for the "limited" choices of software for the Mac, the only time I feel limited is when I'm at my PC, and can't fire up any of my Omni applications, or Quicksilver, or use the Finder, or write Applescripts, or ... There is a very small set of PC-only programs that interest me, and I can run them in emulation with Parallels or VMware or Crossover, but I'm unaware of any options to run all the great Mac-only software on the PC.

Quote:
THANKS for the tip! I will check out the Keychain Access app. Something else to learn! :) I will say that I frequently get notices that my iMail is unable to access my email and that I have to re-enter my password (for my keychain). If that is the same thing, seems it isn't working very well (I probably have to re-enter my iMail password every few days even though I have checked "remember on my keychain"!)
Mail will ask you for the password again if it is rejected for some reason. That rejection may be for reasons out of your control, like a certain amount of ineptitude on the part of the people running your mail service, and not because Keychain didn't remember or supply your password correctly. If I know that the password in the keychain is right, I just hit cancel and try again later, because it may not work even if I type it correctly, and if I type it incorrectly, I may end up with the incorrect password in my keychain and then I'll always get that error! The keychain can be a big help in allowing you to have different, secure passwords for each web site, even if there are hundreds of them -- it's never a good idea to use the same password in multiple places!
Quote:
Realize everyone just wants their programs to work; know you were only making light of my comment.
I'd just listened to a Tom Lehrer album the other day containing a song called the Folk Song Army, which opens (click to listen):

We are the folk song army,
every one of us cares,
we all hate poverty, war and injustice,
unlike the rest of you squares!

I was reminded of it by your comment, for some reason :)
Quote:
But signing onto Omni Forums reminds me of my teen-age daughters FaceBook page!
My five-year-old watches too many BattleBots videos on Youtube, maybe I should get him interested in FaceBook instead? I'm sure your daughter is a nice kid, does she like younger men? :D