Thread: Omnifocus 2
View Single Post
I have to say I am more than a little disappointed.

First, a little history. I have been a long time GTD devotee, and have used OF since in was in beta. I bought a license on January 7, 2008, which I think was the day before it shipped. Although there have admittedly been numerous updates since then, that was nearly four years ago.

While I am happy not to have had to pay for numerous versions, and I understand that others might justifiably suggest that the current version is very different than the original and I should appreciate that Omni is giving so much in terms of updates without requesting payment, the fact is that I would more happily pony up for a version that had the features that already exist on my phone. It seems odd and somewhat unforgivable that the iphone version is significantly more advanced and frankly useful than the Mac version.

This is especially true, and I am especially frustrated by the lack of an updated OF because, as many have pointed out the strict GTD on which OF is predicated is, in my opinion, outdated. For most of the people who I suspect use OF (knowledge workers and the like) context in the world of laptops tablets and smart phones is less and less useful. I can do nearly everything I need to do nearly anywhere, and so in our brave new world my "phone" and "mac" contexts have essentially swallowed everything else. Accordingly, I am now slowly morphing my contexts to adapt, and now I am tinkering with things that I had, in good GTD fashion, moved away from, such as priority and Today lists, because they help me more now more than identifying what I can do with the present tools, because the tools I need are very nearly always with me. The problem is that my trusted system, OF, and in particular, OF on the Mac, while still very useful, is increasingly less useful, and has largely been relegated to my universal inbox, with the "work" portion being done on other devices. Knowing now that there is unlikely to be any relief on the horizon is frustrating.

I still think OF is the best of the bunch of these kinds of programs, but it is, to me, no longer the best app I have. Candidly, if it were not for the review function and spectacular quick add, I might be tempted to move on. For the moment, I expect to remain faithful, but my faith has been shaken.