View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams
Actually, if you're talking about proper Mac behavior, the correct method when dealing with document windows, as laid out in Apple's well-thought-out Human Interface Guidelines many years ago, is to open each subsequent window offset horizontally and vertically from the previous enough that you can read and click on the preceding windows' title bars.
I think it was OmniWeb that used to do this. Except it would do so base on the opened position of the previous window even if that window had been closed! In a web-surfing session (or web page writing session) I open and close many many many windows and that behavior resulted in each new window appearing farther and farther down and to the right until the process finally "reset" and started at the top again. That kind of behavior was driving me nuts in the kind of work I was doing.

I was thinking that the current behavior was to create a new window exactly on top of the previous window, but as I look again it appears to be creating a window of a certain size, offsetting it down and to the right until the bottom or right side of the window encounters a screen edge.
Quote:
I think my ideal for a web browser is to save a user-defined size, then offset new windows appropriately but without changing the size (which means at the upper limit, which is full-screen, you simply end up with another full-screen window). And, this is exactly what OW does. I don't see how it's unpredictable or peculiar - it's in accordance with recommendations designed through research to maximize usability.
Well, speaking of "full screen," I would love it if the "maximize" button would (optionally) enlarge a widow to completely fill the screen. Currently it does the Mac Thing of only maximizing vertically. :(