Thread: project chains
View Single Post
Hello.

I often face the following questions and so please let me know how you handle that:

I already think ahead of the current project and want to write down steps/tasks that need to be completed in the immediate followup project.

Concrete example: You want to plant flowers in your garden (project: plant flowers), but you first have to finish planting grass (project: plant grass).

Now you have several options:

1) You make one super-scope project (project: improve yard) and both subprojects are part of this project.

2) You make both independent projects and put the second one on hold for some time until you finish the first one.

Option 1 is not good, because followup project appear as you go and the super-scope projects end up with only intangible results (what does 'improve yard' mean).

Option 2 is not good either, because you loose the relationship information among projects and you end up with millions projects of which are dead because you don't want to follow up or which are just floating around. (I know there's the review, but you still loose the relationship information among projects).

My current option is to simply rename projects as I transit from one project to the followup project. It's simple and has served me well so far (only on rare occasions does one project trigger multiple followup projects). *But*, renaming looses information as well, so I put a task in there "Renamed project to: XY" which I immediately check off.

So let me ask you: how do you solve this?

Thanks