View Single Post
Thanks for the opinions folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
We must have different sets of Macintosh applications, because I haven't managed to find one yet that behaves that way. Up arrow moves to the same spot in the previous line (if possible). The Omni apps operate this way, Pages, TextWrangler, TextEdit, Script Debugger, DevonThink, Stickies, Mail, Notational Velocity, etc. The only app I found on my system that didn't seem to behave this way is Things, which apparently won't let you jump from editing one item into another using the arrow keys.
I wasn't very clear. The thing is that I am used to work with databases where every "Action" would be a separate entity. And if you think of it that way, every action should work as in all Mac dialogue boxes, where up arrow take you to the beginning of the field (if you are in the topmost line of the field of course), and so on.
As I read further down your comment I understand it that you like the "This is one big pile of text" function. To me that's horrible. And since we don't agree of that basic functionality it will be hard to discuss this further... ;)

Lets take this reply as an example. I am now in a text field writing this. Pressing the up arrow takes me to the line above. Natural and logical. When I reach the top of this text field, the cursor is at the end of the first sentence (ie after the proclamation mark).
So, what happens now when I press the up arrow once more?
- The most logical thing for me (because all Macintosh fields behave this way) is that the cursor goes to the beginning of the sentence - since there is no more "up" because the field ends here.
- In Omnifocus the cursor goes up to the field above this one, which is totally weird.

Do you follow what I mean?

This is of course doable with the shortcuts you describe, but I don't want any shortcuts to do what other applications do without shortcuts. To me, it would be better if you use a shortcut to jump between the actions. Why should OmniFocus all of a sudden change the "normal" behavior of how the Mac works?

Quote:
Fortunately, I didn't fall in with the wrong crowd during my formative years :-)
I did, obviuosly. :D