View Single Post
Unfortunately I have forgotten were I saw an article describing some strange behaviours with drawers and minimizing.

I can elaborate without being sure of much of anything here or without even have a clear picture of it myself. When a window is minimized it still runs and sort of works as a real window. By holding down the shift key when clicking the yellow minus-signed 'Minimize Window' button it is possible to see how everything keeps running inside it. It should be possible to fill the keyboard input buffer fast (with slow input key rate perhaps) and see how a text view still keeps on being filled with characters when it is on its way down to Dock. So there seems to be a smooth transition from full size over to minimized and back again since everything seems to be running just fine even if the window get minimized.

However the drawer seems to be hooked up to a window in full size mode in a way were they are inseparable. The drawer is however its own panel and sometimes there seems to be circumstances were full size, minimized and Exposé isn't really compatible in such a way that a transition from one to the other always keeps the state in wich the drawer is located related to its window. The minimizing effect handles this by just skip the drawer. Exposé however keeps rendering the drawer and it is here things sometimes go wrong. When holding down shift and pressing F9 or F10 and mixtring with the windows when they swoops in and out sometimes ends up with a loose drawer. One that is not hooked up to the window anymore. However this is in an unconditional state and doesn't leave the drawer for the user to handle as it would be truly free. Somewhere the relation between the drawer and the window still exist. It just didn't made the transition from one state to the other with the rest of the window.

This bug is in my experience rarely triggered. It is a bug, no doubt about it but it, but it get triggered so seldom and has been around for so long I'm almost sure it isn't going to be fixed by Apple. It is an Apple-bug that should be handled by Apple. However the drawer in itself is kind of old stuff today so we better wait for what the Omni-devs incorporate as a replacement when they do it. I don't think this particular bug is a either a nasty one or irritating since it is harmless and it doesn't show itself very often.

I think what you are describing is more or less the same as this one or strongly related to it. But I'm not sure of course.