View Single Post
Quote:
It's pretty similar, actually - the assumption is that you're doing regular reviews and looking at your lists frequently. During those reviews, you can either set an appropriate due date (see below) or flag some important things if they don't have due dates.

From there, forecast view keeps the most important stuff in view; I don't sweat the rest. Once that list is clear, just repeat; continual cycles like that help me stay productive and able to be flexible/responsive to changing conditions.
Ok. But where is this forecast view that you've mentioned? I'm willing to try this, but I'm still skeptical that I'll be able to do a general triage w/o any way of prioritizing the vast number of tasks that I have to sort through and execute. Again, I'll try, and welcome any other methodology that you and anyone else suggests!

Quote:
This article by Merlin Mann serves as a good statement of the general philosophy in play in OmniFocus. It states the argument a little more 'my way or the highway' than I probably would have if I were trying to persuade folks, though. :-)
I appreciate the points that this author made, but I still need to some approach to triaging tasks. Again, I welcome other methodologies.

Quote:
From what I've heard folks say here, it sounds like OmniFocus' folders are conceptually similar to Areas of Interest; they're organizational tools that help you keep various projects grouped together by theme.

Contexts represent an additional organizational tool that cuts across your projects. If I'm in a meeting with Betty, I can look at the context I have set up for her and see that I have five questions I need to ask to move several of my projects forward.

In addition to tools, places, and people, the other thing I see folks do with contexts is to classify tasks by whatever headspace they need to be in. As an example, our CEO has one context for his CEO-tasks and another for his programming ones. A lot of that work may happen at his Mac, but very different types of thinking are required.
I follow you, but have yet conceived of an especially useful way of setting up Contexts to suit my work. Also, while Contexts seems useful in categorizing a type of work (or level of energy for a task or location, etc.), I'm not sure why OmniFocus doesn't also include Tags for further sorting. Is there an organizational logic behind withholding this feature? Or is there another way to compensate for it? Thanks!

Quote:
It's not really a template, but if you haven't looked at it yet, our GTD white paper may be helpful.
Thanks very much for sending that. I'm actually looking for more clear cut examples and templates, e.g., some of the set ups that I've seen on the Asian Efficiency website. I'm sure there are others that would be useful, and give me a clearer sense of how best to set up OmniFocus's Contexts, Perspectives, and other features. Thanks!

Quote:
There is much wisdom here. Different strokes, different folks, etc. :-)
Agreed... Now if I can only sort it out and make it work!