View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb
And cf. archives: There's not so much difference between a folder structure and the internal structure of an archive, or am I wrong with that?
As I said in the posting above, I guess that .webarchives are in fact some representation of the internal model of the browser. That means that when a .webarchive is loaded, the browser will be put into exactly the same state it was in when you were actually viewing the page. This way, several problems can be avoided. Above all, the browser is practically in the same server directory. So all relative links, be it in images or links or Javascripts or Flash animations, will still point to the correct destination without changing anything. Additionally, any dynamic content, even if it's ajaxly dynamic, ;-) will still have just the same representation as it had when you were actually viewing the page. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get this by translating that stuff to actual files and still be able to interact with it when you view it again (like moving a map on maps.google.com).

Edit: Interactivity will also be broken with .webarchives, if the page has changed meanwhile, of course. If Google decides to use some other Javascript model for moving maps, your old .webarchive will still show the same as before, but you won't be able to move the map anymore.

Last edited by zottel; 2006-11-30 at 05:07 PM..