View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkshake
It could mean the difference between having all your stuff in one place, or divided over several apps.
This thread has caused me to notice a quite significant difference between the way kGTD and Omni Focus determine whether actions are 'available' and thus can be made into Next Actions.

kGTD seems happy to 'skip over' actions which don't have any context assigned. Thus, if the top action in the list is one without a context, kGTD goes ahead and sets the next action in the list as the Next Action. (I've uploaded a snapshot showing how kGTD handles this.)

By contrast, OmniFocus does _not_ seem willing to make an action the 'Next Action' if there is an action above it in the list, even if that action has no context. (Again, I've uploaded an attachment showing how OF handles the same situation.)

This is a big deal for me, because after trying to use kGTD as just an 'action manager' and keep project support materials in another app, I found that it works much better for me to be able to put support and background materials right into kGTD among the actions. I'd really hate to have to try to go back to separating actions from 'reference materials'.

I know people's brains work differently, but the comments on this thread show that some number of users seem to want to to have the option to be able to keep 'non-action items' in OF as I do.

I've sent a message to the support ninjas asking whether toggling this behavior (whether to allow OF to 'skip over' actions without contexts and make the next action with a context be the 'Next Action') could perhaps be set as a preference in OF.

--Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kGTD.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	223   Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniFocus 1.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	224