View Single Post
I totally agree that BibTex is a better way to go. Endnote, for all of it's wonderful attributes, is a pain in the butt on OS X. It gets upgraded too many times, and the upgrades usually are not compatible with the version of word or OS X that comes next.

I'm dying to switch to BibTex, and this is exactly the incentive I needed! God bless you!

Payam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrison View Post
As an alternative, BibDesk is a very nice open source reference manager that was orginally developed for LaTeX/BibTeX applications, but is actually capabile of EndNote-like functionality. I've written a set of Applescripts for BibDesk called CiteInPages (http://jhh.med.virginia.edu/main/CiteInPages/) that support insertion working citations into Pages (v. 3) documents, and replacement of the working citations with numbered or author-date in-text citations and generation of appropriately-formatted bibliographies. The working citations are BibDesk cite keys, which can have a form similar to author-date citations and are thus directly informative. They are also completely expressed as text and don't cause scrolling slowdowns or "mutate" on sharing. The Applescripts are available under a BSD license and contain commented code required to process numbered or author-date citations. Someone familiar with Applescript wouldn't have much trouble adapting them for OmniOutliner.