View Single Post
Can I bump this? I've recently been looking for qualitative analysis software, and there is STILL nothing really going for mac.

In fact, I'm not looking for qualitative analysis software with the bloated feature set of the current windows offerings. I'm looking for something which I think would have very broad appeal to anyone who works with text documents in an analytical fashion

If you've never used this software, it's hard to understand quite how good it can be. In essence, it's like the colour coded tabs you used to markup your textbooks with at college, but it allows you to get presented with an auto generated page with just those sections colour coded.

Say you've got an academic article, or a another long word document, and you have a number of themes running through it, or perhaps just places which require clarification. So you have tags - a 'clarification' tag, or a 'weak argument tag', etc. And you go through applying your tags to the text (called 'Coding' in Qualitative jargon). Then at the end you can select any one of those tags (or more), and - just like in our favorite GTD apps - only the highlighted portions of text get displayed to you. It's so powerful. I use a 'quotation' tag all the time to mark up things I think might be useful quotations. I then get an auto-generated list of them, with the ability to jump straight back to the quote in its original content.

The intuitive appeal is obvious - people love tagging for filesystems, GTD systems etc. We do 'coding' in between files. Why not inside. Most people don't want the bloated statistical analysis work or coding hierarchy stuff the £££ windows software comes with. Please Omni - a simple, beautiful, intuitive coding programme. Please?