View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
I've noticed that everytime I open OmniFocus I get sucked into the app and start playing with it instead of actually doing something. Or I become hesitant of checking OF because I know I will get overwhelmed with both the program and the content (yes I know). I've been playing different filters etc but it just doesn't seem to work. ...
I don't think the solution is to NOT use OF, although I can only talk from my perspective, which could be wrong for you. Still, I think there is a way to stay in the tool and MAKE it work for you.

A trusted system that you don't trust isn't really that valuable. I'm sure there are a bunch of solutions. Mine is to do a review of Next Actions each day, and to Flag any tasks that either 1. must be done today, or 2. I'd like to do today. :^} They aren't tied to a time so I won't put them in my calendar. If I can get those done I can move to my repeating tasks that have Due Dates, or other Next Actions. It's even possible that I can remove the flags from items if I change my mind and need to re-prioritize.

This might work for you in that it forces you to stay in the Flagged view once you've decided which items belong there. By sticking with this view all day it's much easier to focus. Using the two-step process lets you tweak OF in the morning, (or the night before) but forces you to DO the tasks during the day. If I don't get them done, they are still flagged tomorrow.

I agree that a system like this invites you to constantly tweak, and really that's not a bad thing until you allow yourself to feel like tweaking is a success while you have 5 flagged items that you didn't do. :^}

Also, the advantage of flagging over setting dates is that you never have to move the date forward.

I hope this helps. This works well for me syncing to the iPhone.

-Mark