View Single Post
The time has come for me to abandon Things as my GTD tool. I will switch to either The Hit List or Omni Focus. The price for either of these solutions is not an issue. Features are.

Honestly, Hit List seems better for my needs: I like the tagging features and its flexibility in nesting projects seems more intuitive. Plus I like the interface design.

OF has two weaknesses vis-a-vs THL for me:

1) CONVERSION FROM THINGS
THL seems like I could run one script and have all my Things info integrated into it’s system retaining hierarchy. The solutions for Things > OF don’t seem quite as robust, I’d have to do a lot of re-categorizing and re-filing. True?

2) LACK OF TAGS
I came to Things initially because of the hierarchical tagging feature – which is the only program I know that can do this easily. It's a great brainstorming tool and I may still keep Things around for this feature. OF tagging seems much more limited.

. . . not really a factor between OF and THL, but . . . .

3) I STILL NEED TO KNOW THAT SYNC IS ROCK SOLID.
I was sharing Things between two computers using the dropbox sync technique.

This is why I’m dropping Things.

I had to add notes to myself “I have quit out of Things on my work laptop 6:35pm” If I didn’t see this note when I opened it up on another computer, I would quit out of Things so as not to destroy data. (I have a slower/erratic internet connection at home.)

Even with this safeguard, I would still mess up my database and lose data. So Things has stopped becoming a trusted system – a major GTD app flaw.

Everybody raves about how seamless Omnifocus is with their sync – but I’m reluctant to pay for a glorified dropbox sync option. Writing notes to yourself about a GTD app inside a GTD app is ridiculous, and I don’t want to do this again.

How is Thing's dropbox sync different than OF's cloud sync? How can I reply on a cloud sync solution with a slower/erratic internet connection at home?

Also/FYI: syncing to/from my iPhone is not a critical feature for me. Nice to have, but I won’t buy software based on this feature set.

Thanks for your help.