View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
A bitter pill goes down better when broken up into pieces. Break down what you feel are your most boring projects into the smallest chunks possible to make them feel less overwhelming. The key to beating procrastination is to make baby steps on a clearly defined roadmap. Not only will the 'boring' project look less intimidating, but you'll find that some of the steps you need to take are extremely tiny and can be done in between stuff you DO like.

When you're a kid and don't want to eat the food on your plate it's common for parents to alternate between small stuff you don't like and bigger stuff you do.

Hide the bad flavors in amongst the good stuff and soon you won't notice.

Also, set extremely small timers for these things, like 2, 5 or 10 minutes. You can do this when you've broken a terrible project into tiny bits. You can also set yourself challenges 'I wonder if I can get all x done by 5pm (in 7 minutes)'
This is really great advice and in conjunction with the time estimate column, incredibly useful in moving things forward. Stuff I like working on, I tend to break into ~30 minute chunks, but the stuff that I can't stand, I break into 5-10 minute chunks. It's been a great help in getting the things I hate to do, done.