View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by historydoll View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, and I think you are suggesting the right approach for me: essentially ignoring the whole Start Date thing unless there really is something that can't be approached until a certain date, which works for me.
You're not ignoring the start date feature, but rather using it as intended. It isn't intended for scheduling your work (I plan to work on this task starting tomorrow at 9 AM), but rather for hiding work from you until it is possible to do it (it isn't possible to work on this task until tomorrow at 9 AM). Similarly, contexts are for hiding tasks from you when you are not in the right context to work on them. If you're easily distracted, hiding anything you shouldn't or can't be working on right now is probably a good thing, right?
Quote:
What do you do about things that must be done ON a certain day? I imagine I could do the same: use it ONLY for things that have a specific date.
Well, you can't work on it before that certain day, so you put on a start date of the morning of that day. It must be completed that day, so you put on a due date of the end of that day. In both cases, you'll use an appropriate time, perhaps the start and end of normal "business hours" if it is a task that involves calling some business, for example. It may appear that you are "scheduling" yourself to work on it by doing so, but that isn't really what you are doing — it just turns out that the window in which you are able to work on it is so small that in this case it approaches the limiting case where the time between start date and due date is the amount of time it takes to do it.