View Single Post
At the risk of alienating everyone, a few points I'd like to challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK View Post
Have you considered perhaps that OmniFocus is not marketed at the people who just impulse buy every app they see and then never actually use it, but maybe it's aimed for people who understand and value the benefits they will gain from it?

OmniFocus is far more than a simple 'to-do' list. If you're not into GTD or serious about organising your workflow then I guess it's not for you and you'll be happy with one of the many cheap to-do lists...
RiK, I'm sorry, but I don't feel that Omni is targeting OmniFocus at serious or fundi-GTD'ers, in fact GTD isn't even mentioned by Omni in their App Store blurb, but they do state (and I quote): 'Bring up a shopping list, agenda items to discuss at work, things to do at home, and any other lists you need.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
So I suggest people who think OG's pricing is scandalous and not in line with anything else happening on the iTunes store head over to the medical apps.
hypotyposis, the medical Apps you mention are never going to be for the casual user, they are specifically designed to fill a niche. If Omni is marketing OF as a task management App, then it easily falls into the impulse buy category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
When you buy an Omni product, you're buying the best customer support in the business. I suppose even the best make an occasional mistake, but I've never dealt with a support organization that had as high a batting average as Omni's.
OK, Curt, at the risk of encouraging you to bang your head against the wall, and making you feel bullied into hitting the 'reply' button, I have to say "really?". I accept that there is telephone support, something that must be hideously expensive to provide and not often found amongst App developers, but as I'm outside the US, it's neither inexpensive nor convenient. I've received equal, if not better, email customer support to Omni's from several 99¢ App developers, namely Atomic, GoodReader and WhatsApp.

Quote:
Finally, while there has been plenty of complaining on this thread, sales, app store reviews, and nearly every seriously review that I've seen say that Omni absolutely nailed the value proposition with OF iPad.
Again, "really?", we must be reading different reviews! :rolleyes: Also, the last time I looked, OF for the iPhone was down to three-and-a-half stars on the UK App store. If it falls below three it is my understanding that future sales would be in serious jeopardy.

Quote:
I also recognize that there is a vocal minority that wants certain features and is disappointed when they aren't added. (Clones in OmniOutliner, anyone?) I feel their pain, but don't see a bit of evidence that Omni is ignoring its customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
Lots of people in this thread are discussing requested features whose evidence for "large support" we (users) only get anecdotically through the forums.
I completely appreciate that Omni is in no way obligated to include features that are requested by users, at the same time in my book that doesn't mean they are necessarily listening to their customers.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
It looks like the top of the "we need this feature" list (linking to address book contacts in some fashion) has almost 70.
The original request for linking to contacts was started in 2007, although admittedly, all the other 69 votes may have come in last week, ditto tags, calendar view, etc. :rolleyes:

I guess my expectation is that if Omni pitches OF at the non-GTD'er and at a premium price, then those users have a right to expect OF to have the features as advertised, have a consistent GUI and icons across the board, isn't full of fundamental bugs that have to be voted on to fix, and that it doesn't rely on a generous Member of this Board to create up-to-date user documentation (take a bow, jonwhite), etc. etc.

IMHO, Omni should stop development of any new features (such as DI which I've clamored for!) until the above basics are sorted and it should then market OmniFocus for what it is, a niche GTD program, not as a to-do list where, at such premium pricing, it seems to end up being an expensive disappointment to non-fundi-GTD'ers.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-09-08 at 04:29 AM..