View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwalthour View Post
What would be the advantage of putting an individual action on hold? If something is "On hold", it's waiting for something--a response, another step to be completed, a certain timeframe to pass, etc. Why not create a "Waiting-for" event in that project and leave it set. From my point of view, a truly "On Hold" project would be one, for example, where you're boss says, "We're going to indefinitely table doing x for right now."
That's actually pretty close to the situation where I'd like to put individual actions on hold. I have a project called "Fitness" where I put all sorts of tasks and ideas about fitness -- "look into proper form for exercise X," "ask personal trainer about X," "research health of food X, etc." I toss these on the list, but later when I go to organize things, I look at many of them and say "you know, maybe someday that would be nice to do, but who knows when/if I'll ever have to time to get around to it."

If I put these tasks in an on-hold context, then I get reminded of them all they time when they show up in my "working" perspectives, and I've also overwritten their "proper" context. I don't really want that, since they're on indefinite hold in my mind. If I put these tasks in an on-hold project, I have to take them out of my "Health" project, which is where they really belong.

I can work around it with Ken's "start date" suggestion, but it would be nice to be able to put something on hold "for real."