View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by idanmashaal
5.5.4 is leaking like crazy.
You can see for your self.

1. Change your homepage to: about:blank
2. Open Activity Monitor or 'top'
3. Open 30, 40, 50 new tabs (just press cmd+t) and you'll see that OW can easily take 300-500MB of real memory - with just blank pages.
I just tried this, and I'm not seeing that at all: I just opened 32 about:blank tabs in another window (with this window still open), and my real memory usage is at 161MB. I opened another 32 blank tabs for a total of 64 blank tabs, and my memory usage is 227MB. (This works out to about 1.03MB per tab, which is pretty great for a whole web browser context—especially when you consider that each full-size render image for a tab's thumbnail is somewhere around a megabyte.)

I closed those 64 tabs and my real memory dropped back to 106MB, then opened another 32 tabs and my memory went back up to 169MB. Closed those 32 tabs and I'm back down to 106MB, opened 32 again and I'm back up to 169MB again.

In other words, I'm not seeing a memory leak at all: I set a new high water mark after going up to 64 tabs and back, but then usage stayed consistent. If you're seeing a leak, however, we'd definitely like to figure out what we're doing differently so we can track down the problem and fix it!

(By the way, I was testing this in 5.6, but I also tested in 5.5.4 and got similar results: 5.5.4 used 6MB more memory, nowhere near the hundreds you were seeing.)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-07-18 at 11:20 AM..