View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
1) Do you need multiple columns of data, column types, or the column summary options?
That would be nice, but not essential. I live and die by OO3, and I've got some huge files, but never more than two columns. If I need a spread sheet, I'll use a spread sheet. Outliner is fantastic for... outlines. Lists. Etc.
Quote:
2) Do you need formatting support? Or just plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone.
If it needs to be plain text to get out the door, do it. Right now, for grocery lists (for instance), I'm synching up trash notes in iCal and just putting in the essential info in the event's notes pane.

What OO4 needs (on the iPhone), is at least the ability to have a list, hopefully nested, and to mark items done. If you can set OO4 to override sleep preferences so your iPhone doesn't go to sleep while you're using a list, that would be handy, too.

Eventually, though, it would be good to fully support desktop formatting for when you're working in the field, rather than just running chores.
Quote:
3) Do you need attachment support?
Need? Not initially, no -- at least, not for basic to-do lists.

Eventually, yes. Attachments are often a key part of project lists and being able to view attachments would be critical for getting the job done.
Quote:
4) Should it be a viewer only, or have editing capabilities? If just a viewer only, how well does the Quick Look preview/DHTML export meet your needs? (Viewing the export on the iPhone that is)
Viewer would be a start.
Editable would be an eventual necessity, starting first with marking lines done... and sometime later with altering content.
Quote:
5) What kind of syncing expectations do you have? This would be one big reason why OmniOutliner 4 needs to be developed first as OO3 is not designed for merging synced changes.
This ties into the editing aspect. Initially, no synch is necessary beyond getting into the iPhone and viewing it. Optimally, synching should work both ways for a given document.
Quote:
If you have any other specific expectations for the app, please let us know too. Thanks for your feedback and support!
Having it is the only thing I'd prioritize as "expectation."

Personally, I Get Plenty Done using an outline – I don't require some external system to help me organize my life. OO3 is like a magic paper notepad for me. It just works (Jobs would be proud). That's why I'm so anxious to see some version of OO[X] get over the iPhone.

If you really want to do something cool, above and beyond, find a way to integrate OO4 into iCal, maybe as something embeddable or linkable in an event... or as a way to supplement or replace the To Do list in iCal... and make it synchable. iCal is just begging for a 3rd party-tweak, you guys could do it well...