View Single Post
Well, sp9 shows no change for me with this unfortunate minor glitch (otherwise, it seems really fantastic; definitely see a speed boost, particularly on loading workspaces; particularly happy that command+. actually stops the loading).

Despite that it really isn't all that important to me to have this working (though I'm playing with the idea of trying to convert freedict dictionaries to this), the fact that it's working in 5.5 like it actually did in 5.1, though I never realized it, is a tad upsetting. So I went and disabled everything I could think of that might be causing this problem: InputManagers, APE and haxies, contextual menu items. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source of the problem. The very strange thing is that it works fine on my laptop, which has the same software (as far as I can remember—so hard to keep them synced) and the same preferences (literally copied over and only modified for things like download directories and window locations). Still, there is clearly something that's doing this hidden in my account on the g5 that isn't in its system and that isn't in the laptop account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
This is what I need for sure. LiveDictionary is a nice third-party application that works with many cocoa applications.
[...]
It will load fine in OW (and Mellel) but the definition windows don't pop up, making it virtually worthlesss.
Thanks for the link anyway. I hadn't seen this, but I have used Ultralingua, and I keep going back to lamenting the fact that the system dictionary app doesn't have other languages. I really think Apple got it right with the interface. As a (free) replacement, I've written a number of applescripts to use in LaunchBar and OnMyCommand to define words from copy/paste and selections, respectively. (If anyone's interested, I've got ones for English, Spanish, German and Japanese ones.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischivo
P.S. I just noticed that it DOES give the Dictionary option, but only in THIS area where I am typing my text now.
I'd be very appreciative if you could help in troubleshooting this problem, if it is that you are indeed seeing this in the sneaky peeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
The Oxford online dictionary appears to grant access via subscription only.
Now, the OED in Dictionary.app would really be amazing!