View Single Post
First, thanks for the response Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
Yes, you can put them on hold. In the projects list, tap edit, then the project you want to change, then select the appropriate status. You can then choose to have projects show either available (which will hide items on hold), or remaining (which won't).
How about individual actions that aren't necessarily assigned to a project? Can these be put on hold as well (I guess you could call them "floating" actions).

Quote:
Well, I have a folder called "Someday, Maybe", and everything in it is on hold. In effect that's exactly the same as what Things does I think, except that OF doesn't automatically put items in that folder on hold. It'd be nice if a FOLDER could be put on hold I guess, though you could use a project instead of a folder. I prefer a folder myself because my someday items all tend to be projects (often with no actions decided on yet) rather than individual actions.
You know, you're probably right with the way Things accomplishes this task. It makes perfect sense that they would chose to go this route. It's rather trivial now that I think of it and having a folder that's on hold for these types of actions and projects effectively accomplishes the same thing Things does.

Speaking of "folders", the OF for iPhone screenshots don't lend credence to how these work vs. Projects. The home screen only shows "Inbox", "Projects", "Contexts", and the due's... When you talk about folders (vs. projects), are you talking about Contexts or something else completely? I"m not sure how this is differentiated on the iPhone version (but I see how it is on the Desktop ver).

Quote:
The impression I get is that Things is probably closer to what many people want out of the box, but is far less configurable than OF so that you're stuck with their idea of how it should be.
This is the impression I get as well (and why I think my friend went with Things).

The Things approach to putting tasks into your "Today" list is something I'm struggling with. I'm not sure if I really like this method or if it would be something I would get eventually get frustrated with. If you (or someone else reading this) doesn't know, with Things, actions get put into your "Today" list automatically based on due date/start date/"when to appear in the Today list" date, but there's also a "Next" perspective that allows you to view all your tasks (this is where I worry that having a lot of tasks would get confusing) and picking and choosing which tasks you want to accomplish that day (by going into "star" mode and putting a star beside each of the tasks you wish to do). I know this somewhat follows traditional GTD mantra by forcing you to do a daily review and picking what you want to accomplish, but I'm still on the fence with that one.

I'm in Ottawa, but I think I'll make a decision soon. Paying for OF isn't necessarily what's stopping me from purchasing it. I would simply like to avoid the scenario where I start using on of the apps (Things or OF) and have to switch (and migrate all my tasks) into the other app should I decide the first one I buy isn't for me.

- JR