View Single Post
One of the things I really struggled with when I started using OmniFocus was learning that it was okay - in fact, critical - to put projects On Hold. On Hold is different than Dropped. It doesn't mean "I'm giving up on this. I will never do it." It means "this project will distract me from the other ones I'm working on right now; I need to focus my energies elsewhere".

Rather than trying to deal with every project you've ever considered, I'd recommend that during your next review you pick a handful of projects that would be most satisfying to work on in your free time. If your free time is limited, it's even more important to work on the most satisfying projects.

In any case, work on that set of projects for, say, the next month. In the meantime, you'll cut the number of projects you're looking at (and thus stressing out about) down to a less-stressful number. It also gives you enough time to make some progress towards those goals. That, in turn, will help you feel better about deferring the other projects and coming back to them later.

The goal here isn't to complete those projects; it's to get some satisfying amount of progress on them, then decide which to stop working on for a while so you can reactivate some others if your needs change. Especially for personal-growth projects, the process tends to be more import than the achievement. Speaking as someone who used to optimize all the fun out of my entertainment: trust me. ;-)

For the rest of the projects, put them on hold and consider using this approach to get the projects to come up for review in semi-random & not-overwhelming quantities in the future. (I'd suggest using a review period of weeks rather than days.)

Reviewing them in chunks will let you reactivate projects when you feel like you can handle them. Nothing will get deactivated forever.

Hope that helps!