View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mericleman View Post
I am trying to use OF for a recurring grocery shopping list. I would like to have two lists (one for each store I shop at) that have all the items I may want buy and then be able to check (or uncheck) the ones I need to buy that week. I tried setting up a checklist with recurring items, but it is not working. The list shows multiple due dates for the same items.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have played with other applications for the shopping list, and finally have brought everything into OmniFocus. I did it in the following way:

I have a single-task project trunk called "Shopping". Within there I set up the following nested items

Produce (Grocery)
- Apples (Grocery) Recurs Every 2 Weeks
- - Apples? (Needs)
- Bananas (Trader Joe's) Recurs Every Week
- - Bananas? (Needs)

Dairy (Grocery)
- Milk (Grocery) Recurs Every Week
- - Milk? (Needs)

and so on. By breaking down groups by section of the store, it shows up on my context list in the pattern I like to shop. As you can see from Bananas, I can designate a specific store if I want for an item. In my context list, Trader Joe's is under Grocery, so I can still get the overall list when I am out.

The "Needs" context is my trigger context. Whenever I realize I need something, I flip to that context and check it. So, in addition to food, I also have light bulbs, water softener salt, dry cleaning all set up within there. The Shopping list itself is huge now, but I rarely go in there except to set up something new. I spend all my time in needs or the location based context. So far it's been very effective.