View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
What's the real need to have it running in the background all the time? It will sync as soon as you fire it up anyway.
I don't fire it up every day. In fact, sometimes I will go days without firing it up because I so often have my laptop with me and I just use that. The iPhone version is simply a backup for when my laptop isn't around. But this can lead to problems if cell coverage is spotty.

For example, on the desktop OmniFocus, I created an action: "Mail package to [address]". A few days later, when I finally made it to the post office, I fired up OmniFocus for iPhone to look up the address. The address wasn't there because I hadn't launched the iPhone version since entering the address on the desktop. So then the app tried to sync, but inside the building I only had 1 or 2 bars of EDGE (thank you AT&T!), and it kept timing out. So I wasn't able to get the address.

If OmniFocus could sync periodically in the background (e.g., overnight), then it would have synced at home where crisp clean WiFi was available, and it would have grabbed the address before I even entered the post office.