View Single Post
Hi oloyd,

I am an artist (designer and illustrator among other things), and I agree with both Brian and Malisa, it's not necessarily each tiny step = a separate action, group steps into actions that seem right, balanced and intuitive to you. A good rule of thumb for me is when I can STOP an action. When I look at your list, I think, "when would I stop and be able to come back to it later?" This is especially important during the creative process lol :)

When I look at your list, here are my "artist" thoughts: You probably decide who to sketch first when you sit down to do the rough. So when I look at your actions, I see (1) select face and complete rough sketch, (2) refine with overlays, (3) scan and crop (4) import into Corel (5) Trace to transform into line art (6) Paint watercolor layer (7) Tweak tones with airbrush (8) save and import into Photoshop (9) balance colors & tweak

I find that I use OmniFocus for everything I do really - both for projects with deadlines and general workflow (and my personal life too). I have found that setting up good contexts is vital for my own workflow; if I am having a "good creative day" I can see what type of creative work I need to do at once. If it's a "bad creative day," I can easily see through my contexts some left-brained work I need to get done. And then I can always see an overview of both deadlines and creative process in Project view.

I hope this helps! :)

Carolyn