View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Ortiz View Post
I noticed on twitter that @omnifocus wrote "...Update adds local notifications and support for running in background."

My big concern is that if Omnifocus adds running in the background, it could cause problems with syncing with other devices.
That's a new one. Looking for solutions to bugs that haven't happened yet in an unreleased app running on an OS that is less than a day old :)

I don't think running in the background is what you think it is. Multitasking on iOS4 isn't like on a PC, it only allows apps to do a small subset of tasks after it has exited (apart from audio stuff) and allows for quicker restart because the app remains in memory in a 'frozen' state. OF won't actually be running at all.

It is possible that the behavior will be exactly the same. iOS4 sends apps notifications to tell them that they have been suspended or resumed so OF could treat a resume just as though it had just started. Or, as you said, OF could do a sync when it is 'quit' because iOS4 allows certain tasks to be finished in the background. Don't see how this is a "problem" though. In fact I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason why syncing in the background is any different than what we have now.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Omni are clever enough to catch your bugs :)

There is some more discussion about background stuff here... http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=15926