View Single Post
I don’t believe there is a viable workaround, no. I think that all of the currently do-able cures described here are worse than the disease, at least in terms of mental overhead. How hard is it, really, to look at a project and know that you can’t do it yet? This is something the human mind is fairly good at. We suck at remembering things that aren’t in front of us (out of sight, out of mind, oos, oom), and that’s why we need GTD and a trusted system. But we are downright adept at quickly dismissing things when they are presented to us. Our ability to quickly retrieve mental data relevant to what we are looking at (associative recall) is nothing short of incredible, one of the marvels of neurology.

To say nothing of our ability to actually invent reasons not to do something yet. ;-) But I digress.

Of course, ideally, we want to use OF to hide stuff from us until we need to see it, and I’d love to see dependencies implemented in my fantasy OF for this reason. But meanwhile, when you see a project/action that’s waiting on a power washer rental, just don’t do it. I promise, it will not be long before you realize that you can’t actually proceed without the power washer — in fact, you’ll realize it in about 80% less time than it would take you to implement a workaround for this limitation in OF.