Thread: Managing Lists
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonC View Post
Would you mind expanding on the cross-referencing part? It sounds interesting. I completely understand about feature bloat. I don't want to see it have too many things added to it. I want to keep everything as simple as possible for my different locations.
That's what OF does by design. It keeps your list of actions, projects and contexts and cross-references them for you (by way of relational database). I wasn't trying to describe any unique process on my part, just stating in a roundabout way that I use OF for the task OF was designed for.

I can understand your point about the multiple documents and syncing them up between machines. I can see how having a list-like feature in OF would be helpful in that situation, but I'm not sure how to incorporate that feature into OF in any way that wouldn't clutter up the interface, thereby reducing the utility of OF's primary features.

If it were me, I'd keep copies of my lists (from whatever application I decided to use for my lists) on a USB key drive (automatically synced with Chronosync or some hacked up open-source-based solution of my own) and just take that with me to each machine. Such lists would probably be really small and would easily fit on a USB key (or the spare space on my iPod or my Palm (which might actually be able to read those lists if I saved them in the right format)). Obviously, that's not exactly ideal for every user.

Maybe it would be worth thinking of ways to include some kind of basic list-making feature in OF, but it would have to really well-thought out, and probably not something tacked onto the 1.0 release. Such a feature would likely require a third view (in addition to Planning and Context view) and could easily clutter up the interface so I'm not really sure it would be all that great an idea. The more I think about it really, the less I like the idea, but who knows what the Omni folks will think.

At the very least, such feature would be related to the primary function of OF, as list making is an integral part of GTD.