View Single Post
The license code expires 2/7/13, a week after the big reveal. There's nothing stopping Omni from dribbling out a series of temporary license codes if they choose to do so; they had the foresight to build that functionality into their license code. Nothing concrete has been said about the expected length of the private beta before the public beta; however, the fact that they are issuing a key at all suggests to me that they understand that people will not want to buy immediately before 2.0 goes into beta and will continue issuing time-limited keys (including for the beta) so that those just now joining the OmniFocus party are not penalized. If you want to use OmniFocus for the long term, you'll have to buy it, of course, but someone buying now on the eve of a new version shouldn't have to worry about "buying it twice" with Omni's very customer-friendly track record. That's just my opinion, I don't work for Omni and don't have any information about the OF 2 beta that you couldn't have read somewhere on the Omni website.

If you are just coming to the party, I think it would be a bit imprudent to immediately trust your production data to anyone's brand-new beta test version of a new product. There's enough of a challenge in coming to grips with OmniFocus when everything is working as intended! There will be bugs. And after those are promptly squashed, there will be more :-) Nothing Ken has revealed suggests the initial version will have substantial new functionality that cannot be achieved in some fashion in OF today. Don't be like the chumps who upgrade their production systems to the latest operating release the day it comes out only to discover Monday morning that no one in the office can print!