View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Titus View Post
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply equal divisions either (50/50 was just an example). And the underlying issue I'm trying to get at is in the data model rather than the UI. There is new information needed about a resource (in this example, whether (s)he is 100% available overall in all projects or only 50% available overall) which is not captured in either project #1 or #2 (in which the resource is 50% available in both).

So in order to support what we're talking about here we'd need some kind of additional store of information about resources that is outside of and in addition to the projects themselves.
Hi - I am not sure this is the right place to post this but it is on this topic - I have been watching (and waiting) for OmniPlan to be able to manage multiple projects as native functionality rather than workarounds. My business, like many others, involves working with multiple clients however in our case, each client having multiple projects. Some Resources will be common to all projects and some resources will only be common to some projects (based on skills/experience). Two things are important to manage this
1) an overview (dashboard if you like) of all projects viewed on a common timeline (timelines normally extend to more than 2 years and I could be wanting to monitor more than 50 projects at a time - could be a report but preferably a screen that I can drill down into to see project detail as needed.
2) The ability to create reports for All projects, All by Client, All by Category(type), All by Project Manager or by Analyst (resource) etc. Our Projects and resource allocation are actually fairly simple in plan structure but there are many of them (we use the same basic plan structure over and over so we would use the template feature a lot).

Another thing I will need (which may be achievable with the custom fields perhaps - I am not sure of this) is to monitor revenue from projects. Monitoring costs is only half the equation and project profitability (ROI) is important.

The lack of built-in multiple project management capability is holding me back from investing in OmniPlan as I will have to enable multiple users to make best use of the app (I'm a Omni Focus user and love the software). I will keep following the forums and releases until I can see the program has this feature - thanks for allowing me to give this feedback.