View Single Post
I like to differentiate between actionable items and reference material. Potential actions, like books I want to read, are stored in the someday/maybe section of omnifocus. Reference material (like links) should be stored with other reference material, wherever you keep that. I think the key to maintaining OF—and the challenge—is to separate these two types of "stuff". If you start putting potential actions in your reference material, without also putting a placeholder in your action lists, then these items will keep haunting your psychic RAM. Similarly, if you start putting too much reference material in your action lists, then you'll encumber your action lists and they will become less effective.

In general, I list books I'm planning to read either in a general reading list (a sequential project) called "Books to read" or, if I have books related to one of my other projects, I'll list those books as actions in a separate sequential project. For example, I might have a project called "Make page layouts", but I want to brush up on my graphic design, so I make another project called "Brush up on graphic design" which consists of several actions like "Read Principles of Graphic Design", and so on for the other books. What this does is limit me to one book at a time, in each subject, which is the only way I will get through them.

Last edited by abh19; 2009-02-19 at 08:06 PM..