View Single Post
Just in case there was some ambiguity on how I feel about this subject- tagging (or multiple contexts) are a must for me too.

An example from my daily work: I work for many different companies doing multiple product design projects. The way I currently have our stuff organized is by company and then by project- so far so good. One problem that comes up all of the time is that we will have overlap of projects and tasks where they need to be in multiple "buckets" at the same time. An example of that is we work on royalty projects. What I would like to do is go through and tag each project that is a royalty project. Each company might have a couple of royalty projects and might also have a couple of projects we need to prepare for our next meeting- some will be both royalty and for next meeting. It appears that OF will not allow me to "tag" these individual items with multiple contexts (nearly every other thing I saw in the video had me reaching for my wallet).

One question (that has already been brought up) is whether or not tags and contexts are one in the same. I think in many ways they are and it might be the best way to simplify the system. It would be very interesting to have a primary context (to Call, Home, etc.) and secondary contexts (royalty project, issue to deal with, for next meeting, etc.) associated with the individual projects and tasks.

So, how do you visually organize them? What I have seen that I thought works really well is the HUD in Aperture or the keyword plugin by BullStorm.

This whole idea doesn't need to be overly complex, it just needs to have the flexibility of allowing projects and tasks to be in multiple places at the same time (without duplicating or cloning). I want something to where I can tag the items throughout my project and task list and then have the ability to pull the collected results with smart folders (or something similar).

I hope this makes sense and you see the need for having a feature like this.