View Single Post
Hello everyone. I feel I'm at a GTD crossroad and could use your help...

I've been a loyal OmniFocus user since 2009 (I think); have all three versions, and think their products are phenomenal.

I'm just not so sure GTD works for me anymore.

I put EVERYTHING I need to do in OF, from birthday party projects for my kids, to my work stuff, to daily reminders, to house maintenance. I've recently re-read GTD by David Allen. I've tried several approaches to figuring out "what needs to be done next" (not to be confused with Next Action). I'm just coming to the following realization(s):

1. I don't have a lot of time for the personal side of the house to get things done. Meaning, I get up around 5am, go to the gym, help get the kids ready for school, then work (from home) at 8. I get done work around 6, spend quality time with the kids before getting them ready for bed, then I have about 2 hours left in the day that, quite honestly, I want to spend with my wife on a good movie, or some videogames for me. You know...ME (or US) time. And I don't want to positively CRAM my weekends of stuff to do.

and

2. I've tried the "context" approach that David mentions where you do all your available tasks that can be done in your current location/mode/etc. That doesn't seem to work because I have so many tasks I have to constantly make decisions on what NEEDS to be done. So I've resorted to the following:
1. Flagged tasks
2. Tasks with Due Date (as not part of a project)
3. Projects with Due Date
4. Tasks without due date
But as I mentioned before, I have SO MUCH stuff in OmniFocus (and I feel it's "organized" quite well), that I have so much to do (with due dates), that I'm constantly using Dan Byler's "Defer" script to push dates back. I feel like I only have time to do my flagged tasks (for "home/personal" type tasks).

I've even begun to think...maybe I just need a ToDo application (I used to use "2DO" by Guided Ways Technologies) and just fill it with the stuff I need to get done "today" and not use OF for awhile, and see if the world ends...

Has anyone felt this way after using the GTD method for awhile?

Of course, I probably need to find a (or a few) good OmniFocus perspective(s) to use, but I'm feeling like my system is broken because it's flooded with things to do.

Just wanted to get some insight from all of you. This forum always has great ideas.

I'm hoping (selfishly for my sake) some of you have faced this crossroad yourselves so you can share your wisdom and help a fellow user out...

Thanks for listening and I apologize for the long post...

-Marc