View Single Post
Curt,

Excellent post from an "authoritative" voice :-)
It is perhaps fateful that it literally turns a new page in this thread :-)

Let me say for what it's worth that, unlike you, I did not consider it "ad hoc that an incomplete action group in a sequential project would not block subsequent actions" in earlier versions of OF. Actually it seemed to me perfectly normal and intuitive, as well as conceptually sound. I never think of action groups as anything other than visual indentations in my list of actions required to complete a project. In that sense, I would ideally not even want a checkbox marking a group action as "completed." Does this make any sense to you?

This aside, assuming that the verdict is final and projects/action groups will now be actionable, I am in favor of your suggestion. It seems pretty much what I also suggested as an alternative solution in my post #66 above. (I agree that my other idea of having the project/action group float in all its children's contexts upon their completion may be confusing to novices, although I still think it is the most intuitive, speedy and foolproof in terms of preventing project stalls).

So, yes, a hard-coded "projects/groups" bin in the sidebar would be a satisfactory solution to this significant new problem.

If adopted by Ken and the rest of the developers, it would be wise to combine it with a special sidebar icon for stalled projects (just like there is one for future projects and projects on hold). This way, if the user neglects to take a look at the "projects/groups" bin, and fails to tick off an incomplete group blocking its project, he will at least be visually alerted by the "stalled project" icon in planning mode.

I would be happy to know what you think about all this.

Last edited by macula; 2010-02-20 at 05:16 AM..