Thread: The Hit List
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I'm in favor of smart groups, but this argument for them is specious. If I hide the side bar (assuming that's where the smart groups live), but leave the toolbar, then smart groups have the disadvantage and perspectives don't. That said, perspectives could do with more aggressive highlighting in the tool bar.
Well, the built-in perspectives could benefit from _any_ highlighting in the tool bar. I have re-defined all the built-in perspectives (many of mine are dupes of the built-ins, including "due soon" and "flagged," specifically because there are too many times where I'm saying "WHY CAN'T I SEE ANYTHING IN THIS FOLDER, IT SAYS THERE ARE 4 OVERDUE ITEMS!" and there is no indication that I'm in a perspective. I need to define my own perspective which is a dupe of "Show Everything" and put it in the toolbar... mainly for searching. The "It's here, I KNOW it, why can't I find it!" when using the search bar is a real and consistent frustration for me with the current implementation of perspectives.

Quote:
I think the main benefits of smart groups are more powerful boolean expressions (like flagged or due soon) and easier discoverability, since they are a common feature of applications like Mail and iTunes.
Yes, that is one specific example of why I want a smart group... OR functionality. Flagged OR Due Soon is pretty much exactly equivalent to Things' "Today" view, which I quite like.

Also, smart groups can scale better than perspectives IMO... you can have 10-15 of them and still have room for them (and you could define groups or relationships between them), where as you can run out of toolbar space with the current manifestation of perspectives. And searching around for unused keyboard shortcuts in OmniFocus is _tough_ :-)