View Single Post
[OmniFocus now supports Top-Down planning. This thread is for discussing how to implement and execute this approach.]

One of the things Covey/RPM does right is allow you to push forward some overriding goals. Management types call this "Top Down" organization.

It means you plan your strategy from the top, and then move down towards your daily actions.

I have had the most success with a combination of top-down and bottom-up (GTD) approaches.

I don't need an overriding life goal to take out the trash or pick up milk at the store. However, after I have taken care of the Mission Critical tasks on my desk today, it's very helpful to be able to look at the big overriding goals that I want to invest my time in. Then I can drill down on the one I want to pursue and choose a next action.

We all have a cloud of tasks that get dumped on us daily, and often they can overwhelm us and prevent us from doing the things that are important to us. By planning major goals and subprojects in a top-down way, it helps us to make sure we're making the best choices as to how we spend our time.

I hope OmniFocus is flexible enough to have both top-down and bottom-up management.

Last edited by popcornflix; 2008-06-30 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Update Title