View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinberg View Post
I frequently run into this situation, where I have a task that could be taken care of in any of several contexts, and I don't know which one of those contexts will come up next for me in my hectic schedule.
My solution to this has been an "Anywhere" context, for things that I can really do anywhere (e.g., "Spend 10 minutes thinking about X").

But I find there are very few things I can really do in multiple contexts. If I need to buy tickets, but haven't decided whether to buy them on the phone or online, I really haven't completely decided my next action. The solution to this (as someone mentioned previously) is it really doesn't matter which you choose -- just choose one. Then you've decided on your next action.

I'm not sure I see the situation in which multiple contexts for a task would really be appropriate. Conversely, I certainly see the purpose of being in multiple contexts at once: e.g., "Phone", "Online", "Laptop", and "Office" may all apply to me at work. Fortunately, OF lets me select multiple contexts to see all the tasks in them.

Perhaps the issue, in addition to not fully deciding on a next action, is that one's contexts are defined too vaguely? For example, if I only had "Home" and "Office" contexts, and I had a task that simply needed a telephone, there wouldn't be any particular reason for me to pick Home vs. Office, thus the desire to put it both. The solution to this, again, would be to create a context that describes what you need to have at hand in order to complete this task. (Agenda/Person contexts are effectively another instance of this -- you need to have that person available.)