View Single Post
ian, I'm going to agree with brian on this.

I think it has to do with a misunderstanding of GTD vs. what you'd like the software to do. And I get that - you've seen how good the other Omni Software is, and you're ready to look at this, and add it to your collections of purchases from Omni. Bonus, you're trying to accomplish stuff, and you'd like to see Omni succeed.

But, I think you're looking for Nag software, not GTD software. And OF isn't just GTD, its essentially "David Allen's Getting Things Done."

Omni is trying to hit a solid GTD product, and not necessarily an 'everyone product' (at least through 1.0.) Why? There isn't a solid GTD product on the market (and believe me, I've tried all of them)

The mantra of GTD is: the only thing that truly belongs on your calendar is stuff you have to get done at that moment.

GTD depends on you to decide what's the best thing to do. Goof off? Sure. Software that's intrusive, that keeps throwing you Alarms, isn't helping you get things done, it's being big brother. "Are you working yet? Are you working now?"

I'll throw my suggestion at you: I use 3-2-1 (a countdown widget) and have it set to 10 min. I try to work on a single project for ten minutes. Even if I'm goofing off, at the ten minute mark, it chimes in; and I have to make the decision - do I want to continue goofing off?

I take a short break and take a look at my context(s), to see what the next best thing I could be doing. I have two windows all the time open: my flagged (of every context) and the actual context I'm at.

It's the idea of focus on one thing, work at it, review and again, see if it's the best thing you should be doing.