View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Then I thought, why not just keep a master database on the server I'm syncing to that holds all my actions (archived or not). Then only sync to the clients the ones not flagged as archival and all the client databases will be small (especially if there's an auto-archive preference). The user wouldn't have to worry about which machine the archive is on and could access the archive from anywhere. That was the idea for the thought added in the edit.
There's certainly some valid reasoning behind the idea of keeping it all on the webdav server where any client could get at it. It might not even be all that much trouble to implement, as such things go. I'm not sure that they should be commingled, however, based on the performance I saw with a larger database.
Quote:
In the end, the existence of this thread (combined with the slow start up times for OF on my iPhone) says to me that something's broken with the current archiving and syncing paradigms.
What kind of start up times are you getting, and what size is your database (both actions and megabytes)? What does it have to be for you not to regard it as slow? I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it performs for me; the only painful spot is when the iPod compacts the database (I'm syncing to MobileMe, not Bonjour) and that doesn't happen very often.