View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP View Post
I would've agreed a few days ago, but I've just recently warmed up to the notion of folders (just as I've only recently started to warm to the idea of action groups rather than sub-projects). I think that most of us are used to using different GTD software tools. Some of us came here from Kinkless while others came here from iGTD or Actiontastic or one of the other Mac GTD apps out there. For all of their differences, most of these tools all share some common structures and elements, sub-projects being one of them.

But as I reread David Allen's book (which I am doing mostly because of discussions on this forum), I only find one mention of sub-projects and it's pretty open-ended and Allen's comments assume you're doing this on paper really -- at the time he wrote GTD, no tool for automatically tracking actions in both projects and contexts existed. I think the Omni folks may be on to something, though I'm still wrapping my head around exactly what.
I don't think it is that much an issue about not finding a definition for subproject, rather then how you define a project. As I always understood, a goal requiring more than one physical action turns into a project, whereas a goal requiring only one action is just an action. From this perspective an action group and a project are the same, and it can be nested as deep as necessary.
This is why I am confused about OF's implementation because , in my view, there shouldn't be a difference between an action group and a project. In OF there is, one of the consequences is that I can't focus on an action group ( the feature only works for projects).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP View Post
I think Omni is redesigning the GTD application in a pretty fundamental way by not allowing sub-projects in favor of action groups and folders. But they're not redefining GTD. In fact, I think this might be an improvement or a refinement of a portion of GTD that was previously left pretty vague. I'm refactoring my list today, in fact, to see if I can use these different structures more effectively.
Can you maybe elaborate on why action groups and folders might be improving or refining GTD? I would like to get my head around it as well :)