View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joris View Post
I don't think it is that much an issue about not finding a definition for subproject, rather then how you define a project. As I always understood, a goal requiring more than one physical action turns into a project, whereas a goal requiring only one action is just an action. From this perspective an action group and a project are the same, and it can be nested as deep as necessary.
This is why I am confused about OF's implementation because , in my view, there shouldn't be a difference between an action group and a project. In OF there is, one of the consequences is that I can't focus on an action group ( the feature only works for projects).
The first difference between an action group and a sub-project is that projects are available through the various quick-entry methods (inbox, quick entry dialog and the Quicksilver plugin) and action groups are not. Therefore, if I want to quickly add an action to an action group, I'm out of luck.

Quote:
Can you maybe elaborate on why action groups and folders might be improving or refining GTD? I would like to get my head around it as well :)
At first glance, action groups may seem very similar to sub-projects, but when you start to use more of OF's advanced functionality (Focus, Perspectives, Reviews) action groups and projects are definitely not equivalent to each other. As you start to refactor your action lists to best take advantage of some of these features, you'll likely find yourself wildly restructuring your action list to accommodate OF's quirks (I've found that personally). As annoying as this may sound (and it is a little), I've honestly been quite pleased with the end results.

I'm really not in a state of mind right now to elaborate on this (I had a major project presentation a couple days ago and I'm currently gearing up for the next major project, and I'm buried in homework and I may have to move soon -- I'm not currently studying my GTD system in depth. I'm Getting Things Done as quickly as I can right now. I'll refactor again in January). If I get the chance to really review what's going on with my system right now (and actually identify why it seems to be working better), I'll be sure to elaborate on what I think it all means.