View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
If I have individual names, then I am proliferating projects like crazy, e.g. "Graduate students: Mark, Graduate students: John." Is there a way to use a folder as a project level assignment, and then have projects within, without proliferating individual projects in the assignment field?
What is your main concern with said proliferation? It would seem that each student is a "project" that gets completed on its own timeframe. Your folder "Graduate Students" isn't really a project because you never complete it, its an "area of work".

Dealing with this proliferation is not too bad with Omni's very good pattern matching algorithm. To jump to Grad Students:Mark in the column entry, you would just type "g-r-m-a" and it would highlight. (you don't need to finish typing the first part of the hierarchy)

Depending on how much detail you are tracking in your system. Each student may be a folder of their own with projects:

Grad students:Mark:PNAS Paper
Grad students:Mark:Poster for meeting
Grad students:Mark:Thesis

etc

I'm finding the more I use OF, the more I break things down into discreet projects. It is far easier to plan, review, and complete a project than an action group within a project.

-P