View Single Post
Quote:
So the difference is when you apply custom or preset groups of styles. But aren't styles nothing more then applying multiple attributes at once? But enough about this.
The difference is that when you apply a preset group of style attributes, all of the style attributes of the text they are applied to change. This is not the case in OOP.
Quote:
Are there any other cases like this with different attributes?
I'm sure there are, such as the color Black, but since I try to do all my stylizing outside of OOP I couldn't provide a laundry list.
Quote:
Quote:
I should not have to worry that things work differently from different user interface elements of the application.
There are valid points for and against this. I will make sure it's considered.
What other portions of OOP's UI elements work differently when you use them besides styles? Does adding/removing a section work differently when you choose it from the Menu or the Toolbar or the Utility Drawer? Does attaching a file? Does printing?
Quote:
Yes, some planning is needed, but you could say it's actually getting you to save time once you understand it.
I understand how it works, that is not the problem. The problem is that they don't work the same throughout the application, and some attributes don't get changed even if they are defined in a style.
Quote:
Styles applied to a wide amount of content should be kept basic and you build it up as individual cases come.
This assumes that I want the same style as the "base" for everything at the same level or in the same section. This isn't always the case.
Quote:
So, lets just forget about the argument that OO doesn't work like other program and focus what needs to be fixed.
Like I said in an earlier post, I don't care how you implement styles, it's your application and it's your perogative. Just make them work the same throughout the application (including the same modifier key functionality), and make the attributes set in a style apply when you apply that style (be it Regular, Black, etc). Different rules for different attributes used from different UI elements is not intuitive ... it is frustrating.

James B